This past year I participated in two styled shoots. Though filled with some stress and intensity, a styled shoot is a fun way to meet and work with fellow like-minded creative and business owners while bringing your vision to life. Portfolio building was so important to me this year. It was my first year in business and before I could get any paying clients, I needed to add beautiful photographs to my portfolio. Here are some things that I've learned and I hope you find useful. Of course I'd love to interact with you so leave a comment or ask any question!
- Pick a theme- I love using Pinterest to get my ideas together but you don't have to. Creating a vision board is a great way to get your ideas together. It also gives your team an idea of the overall look that you want to achieve. I suggest doing this before reaching out to everyone so that they at least get an idea of what you are trying to do.
- Research publications sites - 9/10 times if you are putting together a styled shoot, you have a goal of publishing on a wedding blog or magazine. To better your chances of publication, I suggest you research the sites that you want to submit to. Be aware of their image sizing requirements and styles they normally look for. This will take the guess work out after the shoot and better your chances of getting published.
- Fair trade- The point of collaborating with other creatives is that you all get to use the photographs for your website. I've heard too many times of photographers requiring other creative's to pay for the use of their image or creative's not giving credit. A styled shoot is a chance for everyone to collaborate and benefit. Everyone should be able to use the photographs after publishing and credit must be given to everyone who participated.
- Communication- hold several meetings to talk to the people on your team. If you can't meet in person, try creating a Facebook chat group where you can discuss the timeline.
- Have fun! A styled shoot is supposed to be fun! Not stressful. Bring snacks, play music and make magic! A styled photoshoot is fun, collaborative effort between creative entrepreneurs!
Do you live in New England and are planning a styled shoot? Do you need a photographer? During the winter months when I am not busy with weddings I love collaborating with other creatives. Let's make magic together! Reach out to me in the comments below or at Fritzmean@gmail.com